Pharmacists in General Practice – Simply not enough
April 11, 2017
The New NHS Alliance has supported the employment of pharmacists within General Practice through their document ‘Pharmacists and General Practice’ and within ‘Making time in General Practice’. We have also been great supporters of the commitment to pump prime pharmacists in General Practice and the work of NHS England in driving forward the successful pilot into full roll out. We have also seen the value and contribution that pharmacists in General Practice can make.
However, it is simply not enough. The 1,300 practices across London, who are currently surviving in a very challenging environment are allocated just 84 between then – and many are disappointed at this level and the lack of alternatives. In Wandsworth community pharmacists have stepped in and supported General Practice on a sessional basis. Last year The NHS Alliance published their report ‘Supporting the development of community pharmacy’. The report offers 8 recommendations on ways to engage community pharmacists in managing the demand in General Practice. We know that several GP federations have approached Local Pharmaceutical Committees asking what more Community Pharmacy can do.
The New NHS Alliance believes that demand in General Practice is at a critical level. We know that working in ways that promote health creation can also help to reduce demand, and we would welcome urgent action to support community pharmacy to go further to manage demand and adopt health creating practices.
New NHS Alliance pharmacy lead, Mark Robinson, said:
“We have always said that Community Pharmacy is an under-utilised resource. It is time to sort this out and find ways of engaging and supporting community pharmacy to work closely with General Practice and with communities to manage demand.”
Notes to editors:
- For enquiries, interviews or further comment, please contact: Judy Harris at email@example.com or on 07717 691845
- New NHS Alliance mission is … ‘to infect the UK health system with wellness’. You can find more information here
- New NHS Alliance has a goal to make Health Creation and health creating practices a core part of the UK healthcare system alongside a greater focus on prevention. We believe that this is the best way to reduce health inequalities and deliver a sustainable health service. Click here for a short briefing paper on Health Creation.
- You can find coverage of our Health Creation Action Summit here
New NHS Alliance and ITN Productions launch ‘In Search of Wellness’
December 8, 2017
New NHS Alliance 2017 Excellence in Health Creation Awards still open for entries
November 15, 2017
Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Health to join 25 top-class speakers to consider the health and economic benefits of Health Creation at New NHS Alliance 2017 Action Summit
October 31, 2017
- Join New NHS Alliance in joining the dots at its Annual Summit on 6 December!Health Creation, Wealth Creation The NHS can no longer afford to operate as an isolated…
- What mattered to DavidThis blog is written by Kay Ellermeyer, Business Manager at Alvanley Family Practice, Woodley There…
- Turbo-boosting STPs? It’s time we got serious about ‘partnership’Jeremy Hunt and Simon Steven’s recent announcement to ‘turbo-boost’ Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (note, they are Partnerships now, not just…