The New NHS Alliance is a values-led movement of people and organisations committed to building a sustainable, community-based health service. Expanding beyond its core roots in general practice and primary care, the Alliance embraces a wide range of professional sectors and is focused on health inequalities and the practice of health creation. Neither professional body nor trade union, it is open-minded, people-centred and solutions-focused and bringing together a more than 10,000 passionate individuals and organisations.
Our mission is … to infect the UK health sector with wellness
In May 2017, we launched ‘A Manifesto For Health Creation’
- This ground-breaking Manifesto sets out 10 high impact recommendations to create a wellness-based health system, aimed at tackling the continuing problem and social injustice of health inequalities.
- This Manifesto is different. It is not more of the same, but a way of creating health that decreases dependency, increases people’s resilience and reduces their demands on traditional health and care services.
- We hope our Manifesto inspires you to adopt health creating practices – and to join the New NHS Alliance and the Health Creation movement!
Please click on the link below to download the Manifesto:
We want to make Health Creation and health creating practices a core part of the UK healthcare system alongside a greater focus on prevention. We believe that this is the best way to reduce health inequalities and deliver a sustainable health service.
We are in the business of creating conditions for the NHS and other organisations to adopt and practice health creation and we will do this by:
- Raising understanding of health creation and supporting the development of health creating practices – so that communities, families and individuals are increasing their levels of the 3Cs
- Promoting and supporting innovation in health and new, more effective and efficient models for primary and community care
- Supporting collaboration across health, care, housing and beyond to secure better outcome for people and communities
- Reducing and overcoming barriers that inhibit innovation, collaboration between organisations and the adoption of place-based models of care
- Supporting emergence of new styles of leadership within the health sector, enabling a wider range of organisations and communities themselves to become active participants in the healthcare system
- Influencing government policy and programmes to create a national framework in which health-creating and preventative healthcare is supported
Please join the New NHS Alliance if you agree with these values:
- I understand that enabling people to improve their own lives is the most important aspect of a progressive healthcare system (it is more important than ‘improving existing services’)
- I am open to learning and prepared to innovate to find different ways of working that improve people’s lives
- I am open to working with a range of organisations, within and outside the NHS, in pursuit of better health and wellbeing outcomes
- I recognise that people and communities are resource-rich and can hold the solution to improving and preventing poor health behaviours. I am committed to releasing this capacity by enabling people to develop greater levels of Control, Contact and Confidence (the 3Cs of health creation)
- I recognise the emotional labour involved in caring for others and take steps to look after both professional and informal carers
- I believe in and practice parity of esteem between patients and professionals, between the NHS and organisations that contribute to health and wellbeing outside the NHS and between those living with physical and mental health problems