Skill mix: How paramedics can help general practice – Dr Mark Spencer, co-chair of the Health Creation Alliance, employs a paramedic in his practice. He explains what the role involves and how it benefits the practice. GP Online
Orthopaedic clinic – rickets. Consultant paediatrician Dr Minoo Irani starts the series with the case of a two-year-old girl presenting with swollen wrists. Pulse Today
For richer but not for poorer – “The widening gap in life expectancy between the richest and poorest in society, which is already over 30 years’ difference, is shocking.” says Merron Simpson, chief executive, Health Creation Alliance, on page 1 of this month’s Pharmacy Magazine.
Health Creation Alliance News:
- Health Creation Alliance is a partner to Nuffield Trust Conference taking place on 23 June – on general practice at scale
- Health Creation Alliance is holding an event on 13 July ‘Health Creation: The missing link in the NHS’ Crown?
- Meeting scheduled with Minister for Social Care, Rt Hon Alistair Burt to discuss the future of social care
Dispensing Health Equality:
Pharmacy Voice published an important white paper: Dispensing Health Equality. Research showed that if faced with a closure, more than one in four people (29%) who would normally seek advice first from their local pharmacy on common ailments would instead make an appointment with their GP practice. According to NHS research, this rises to as many as four in five people in areas of high deprivation such as Fleetwood in Lancashire. The BBC covered the report widely, including an interview with Dr Mark Spencer. To read the report in full, click here.
This Fortnight’s News:
- Midwifery legislation proposals a ‘retrograde step’, claims RCM – Changes to midwifery legislation will result in a “retrograde” step for the profession as future decisions on regulating midwives will be made largely by nurses, it has been warned. Nursing Times
- GPs praised for ‘dramatic’ cut in antibiotic prescriptions – GPs in England have “dramatically” reduced the number of antibiotics they give to patients, latest figures show. BBCTimes Guardian
- Student bursary cut ‘may worsen NHS staff shortages’ – Plans to scrap student bursaries and charge nurses and other health staff for their degrees in England could backfire, unions are warning. BBC
- Thousands of pharmacies in England ‘at risk of closure’ – Thousands of local pharmacies in England are at risk of closure because of cuts by the Department of Health, a campaign group has said. BBC
- CCG prescribing restrictions could put GPs in breach of GMC rules – ‘Hard-line’ CCG advice to restrict prescribing of medicines available over-the-counter could put practices at risk of breaching GMC advice, the GPC has warned. GP Online
- Developing individual leaders is not enough to save the NHS – Leaders need to work together across organisations as well as involve the public from the outset of any changes. Guardian Healthcare Network
- Funding cuts threaten ground breaking GP minor surgery audit – A ground breaking audit that proved the safety of minor surgery in general practice faces being wound up in a move that GPs fear could undermine the evidence base for transferring work out of hospitals. GP Online