Health Creation Alliance News:
At its AGM, held in London on Wednesday July 13, Health Creation Alliance confirmed its commitment to Health Creation as a means to tackle health inequalities and deliver a more sustainable NHS. A diverse audience argued this is the most important agenda in health at the moment, a point confirmed by Lord Crisp, former chief executive of the NHS, in his key note on the power of communities. He shared the thinking of Dr Mirian Were Chancellor of Moi University, Kenya: “If it doesn’t happen in the community, it doesn’t happen. If it happens in the communities, it happens in the nation.”
Working with communities as assets has long been a key building block for the Alliance, and building health into housing is another emerging focus, as our membership expands from primary care to housing organisations, emergency services, and urgent care providers.
SAVE THE DATE: 2016 ACTION SUMMIT
Thursday, December 1, 2016
King’s Fund, Cavendish Square, London W1
Our 2016 Action Summit will take place in December at the King’s Fund in central London. This will be a full and interactive day, focusing on the concept and practice of Health Creation. We are delighted the Summit will be delivered in partnership with ITN Productions, who will launch our 2016 news programme, Healthy Communities, Healthy People.
Full details coming soon but please save the date and register your interest now with firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note places are limited and we will be offered in order of registered interest.
- Health Creation Alliance announces mission to address health inequalities. Health Creation Alliance
- Health Creation Alliance responds to Brexit. Health Creation Alliance
- Health Creation Alliance calls for community pharmacy ‘forward view’. Health Creation Alliance
This fortnight’s news:
- Health secretary Jeremy Hunt pleased to remain in ‘best job’ – Health secretary Jeremy Hunt is ‘thrilled to be back in the best job in Government’, he has said. Pulse
- The boldest move in this reshuffle is keeping Jeremy Hunt at Health – No one feels more deflated and bitter than after apparent victory is snatched away. That’s how a lot of #juniordoctors will be feeling now. It is a reversal that can only aggravate the government’s ongoing conflict with them over a new contract. Telegraph
- Brexit will not affect status of any EU doctor on UK register, says GMC – The UK’s vote to leave the EU ‘should not have any impact’ on the registration status of any doctor already on the register, the GMC has said. GPonline
- NHS finances – back under intense scrutiny. BBC
- Primary care model for 50,000-patient groups to be extended across England – A model of care that brings GP practices into partnership across 50,000-patient populations is set to be rolled out to around 4m people across England. GP Online
- Obesity may be a brain disease made worse by a Western diet high in sugar and fat – Unhealthy eating habits appear to hamper the brain’s ability to forget about the need for food when you are full. Independent
- Exclusive: Rise in medical indemnity costs accelerates as 90% of GPs face higher fees – Medical indemnity fees rose for nine in 10 GPs over the last year, with costs for over a quarter of the workforce up more than 20%, a poll suggests. GP Online
- 1.7 million undiagnosed cases of heart disease and lung cancer, health body warns – Around 1.7 million people in England could be living with heart disease, lung cancer or lung disease without knowing it, Public Health England (PHE) is warning. Telegraph
- GP practices could face a breach of contract probe when given CQC ‘requires improvement’ rating – GP practices could face being automatically assessed for a breach of contract when they are rated ‘requires improvement’ by the CQC, Pulse has learned. Pulse
Health Creation Alliance Coverage
Time to market nursing – The new nursing framework is a chance to promote the cost-effectiveness of nursing and empower communities.
Health creation approach needed to address inequalities, says Health Creation Alliance– The NHS should move beyond illness prevention to health creation to address the growing gap in life expectancy, the Health Creation Alliance has said. National Health Executive
Closing the health gap – a gap worth closing: How housing can play its part in reducing health inequalities.
Housing Learning and Improvement Network and Public Health England paper produced in collaboration with the Health Creation Alliance. Please find a link here.
Health Creation: the missing jewel in the NHS’ Crown? The NHS is very good at treating many illnesses and there is a greater focus than in the past on preventing illness. But what about creating health? Read our paper here.
The Health Creation Alliance presents ‘Healthy Communities Healthy People’, a collaboration with ITN Productions. Watch the video here.